Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Cultivate your Talent

Society teaches us to cultivate our Career. It teaches that there is a certain procedure to accomplish this cultivation, such as going to school and pursuing job opportunities that are pertinent to your career choice. The schools we get into teach us the skill sets relevant to the career and the diplomas/certificate/credits we receive are pertinent to that specific skill set that employers look at to determine your qualification.

Well this may sound odd, since it's unconducive to what we're taught by society, but stop cultivating your career. 

I know what you are thinking, "That doesn't make any sense.. I suppose I should think things will just happen by themselves?" Well that's not what I'm saying at all. I am not saying that the career path you choose is irrelevant or somehow a mistake. In fact, I'm not saying anything related to what I think any individual should do for their career; including not pursuing one.
What I am saying is that we spend too much time putting our energy and our focus into that 'ideal' career, as if it is any guarantee we will enjoy that career. Anyone who has gone through college can speak for many when it comes down to the uncertainty of what you'll want to do by the time you're done schooling for what you were so sure you wanted to be when you started. That's not even speaking for those who have gone through the many years of their career path and have questioned if their heart is truly in the career like they were so sure it would be in the past.

This is not to say that many people don't pick a career that is truly suitable through the years. I think those people are a great example of choosing wisely as much as enduring the hardships to get to where they want to be, by basis of their deep enjoyment as opposed to the superficial aspect of what society says is success.
As true success is someone who enjoys what they do regardless of the profit of their work.

What I think people should spend their time doing, throughout their entire life, is cultivating their talent.
It may be true that what we are talented at doesn't reflect what we enjoy to do.. However, if you're going to put your life into employment, it may as well be what you are good at; doing what you like on your free time so you are not hindered by the demands of an employer. That is why many musicians refuse to make a career out of what they like to do yet use their talent (which may be their expertise in the analytically side of music) to teach students, help the logistics of bands or companies, etc...
The fact of the matter is that talent goes two ways in this jungle of a world. You can use your talent to help you succeed financially, but you can also use your talent to succeed in finding fulfillment throughout your life in what others may consider just a 'hobby'.

I consider myself an artist. I like many forms of media, but my true passion is visual arts; primarily that of graphic design with graphite, doing comic illustrations.
I have merged my writing talent with my intuitive story-telling talent, combining these two elements into my visual prowess within my imagination 'machine' and cultivating these talents through my hands by transmission of the medium of paper and graphite. This may seem like a convoluted statement, but what I'm saying is the literal process of what I've learned to do over the past 13 years. As what started as an over-active imagination, meaning I could never get my head out of the clouds regardless of being in a situation that required it or just sleeping, turned into an endeavor of epic proportions.
I have no way to express the passion within except for to show it through the fruits of my labor. I have retained many pieces of art, poems, random writing, and ultimately a story I've developed over the years. Granted, I have something I intend to turn into a masterpiece as much as small tid-bits of my imagination that I've put to some form that others may see, but nothing compares to what my memory is still holding onto that is like a quilt of ideas that forms one blanketing concept.

What is the point of me bringing all that stuff up?
I am trying to show the difference between cultivating talent vs. cultivating a career.
If it still isn't making sense, let me reiterate.

Had I spent all those years trying to cultivate a career, even if it was by virtue of my talent, I wouldn't have this story that I have made that has transformed my thinking about my talents. I would probably only find the virtue of using my talent in how much I get paid, or if I get paid at all. Ironically, I don't want to get paid for my artwork that is personal to me; the masterpiece of my imagination.
I don't mind getting paid for my creativity, but when I do get paid for it I do not want to be recognized for the creativity or the quality of it. That doesn't mean I evade criticism, it just means that I don't put my name to it and I don't care if others copy it to the letter. My masterpiece is on the opposite side of the spectrum, I guard it carefully and I would be beyond offended if the characters, plot, or world that I've created were copied and used for any reason... ESPECIALLY PROFIT.

So here is where my point ties up..
If you are going to seek a career, based on financial security, then spend your time cultivating your talent so that you will better understand what your personal limit is. By limit, I don't mean the extent of your talent or the capacity of your skill at any given time. What I mean by limit is what you will tolerate on an emotional level. You may be good at something and have no desire to get paid for it, conversely you may have great talent at what you want to get paid for. That is only the beginning. To each you must focus on cultivating the talent, your career will become evident as you also find what you can tolerate to be paid for; which means what you will be subjected to concerning hardships like failure and being treated like an invisible producer of elements.. Much like robots in a factory line don't get credit for building a product, but the company receives all the credit for their intent to design the great product.

This may be hard to wrap your head around, but if you look at it from the simple statement I'm about to make then you will find that why you go in the direction you choose is completely based on how you feel in a very raw sense.

Cultivate your Talent. Don't Cultivate your Career. Your Career will automatically be Cultivated by your Talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment