Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

It's No Problem.. It's What I do!

It's not too much to ask.
Everyone needs help with something.
At one point, or another, the need for help seems like a burden.

Though there are some people who think in a very different way about help, I don't think a personality is predisposed to taking people for granted. Even those who seem to have no sense of responsibility.
It is rather foolish to think that the most hardened of hearts has become like stone because there is a complete lack of empathy, naturally.
The reason is simple, you can still make offense to them; so their sensitivity may be selfishly inclined, but it is still there. How you appeal to them may be the greater question in the end.

I am making a sweeping generalization of personality inclination, which is a logical fallacy. However, I have yet to be acquainted with someone who has no sense of loyalty or respect. Regardless of how selfish that sense of loyalty and respect has become. Even to the degree that you can simply escape being killed, just because of some skewed sense of 'justice' brought on by your own selfless acts.
Sometimes it's just a matter of scare tactics. Put someone on the edge and there's sure to be a reaction, but if you can be recognized for not pushing at all.. There may be a response that's unexpected.

Despite that extremely negative side of the spectrum, I am not making my point around how others react. My point revolves around my own sense of empathy or rather, why I choose to act. Which I share with many other people, who are willing to go the distance to show some compassion to the meek and broken hearted.

What frustrates me more than apathetic criminals, is self-righteous 'saints'. Everyone knows who I am talking about... The ones who make themselves out to be God's specially-sent warriors, but somehow if you don't fall into their personal criteria of acceptably 'needy', then your troubles are mocked.
I suppose my frustration is that I see no difference in my heart between helping someone who has it all and someone who has nothing at all. Though there was a time when I was younger that I felt uneasy about other kids complaining about how hard life is, wondering why they ignored my offer of friendship just to be coddled.

None-the-less, I have come far in my own compassion towards anyone suffering emotional unrest. It's more than an expectation I've laid down for myself, it has become a matter of motivation to continue living.
The tough part is discerning when to step back and let someone suffer the consequences of their actions, but offer them a hand when they start to slip or fall down altogether.
In the end.. It's more than just a moral obligation. It's a matter of understanding how I've needed the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment